Saturday, January 8, 2011

Sat’day 11December Alone in a cabin, in the woods...classic set up for horror films, lol

Woke up before my alarm again. Have a stuffy nose, so it’s hard to sleep. Had some tea and toast for brekky and just sat by the kitchen window and took in the lovely view. I read 3 cups of tea for a while then decided to reorganise and pack. Bill came and got me a little after 1. Said goodbye to John and hopped in the van with my life. Lol. It was about 25 min drive to the Waipoa forest visitors centre. I got a double cabin room, with beds like boards and a mini kitchen. I had several hours before I was to be picked up for my Kiwi walk. So I grabbed my water and camera and started exploring. Found some horses in the meadow behind my cabin, but the best find of the day was the rock in the middle of the river. I spent a good part of an hour sitting on my rock meditating. =) Then I climbed a bit and took more pics. I was tired and feeling worse than ever at this point so I went back to my cabin and watched a movie. Finished just in time for my walk. Jane took me (I was the only one) out to a field and taught me how to weave the flax (Harakeke) plant. The Maori used these for dif baskets, gifts, and toys. It was really cool, she said I should have been born a Maori girl. Lol. Then she took me up th hil and talked about the Kauri forests (only 4% left) and the Kiwis. It was really neat. I feel like I’ve learned more about theMaori in 18 days then I did about the AUS Aboriginals in 6 months! Jane drove me back to my cabin because she was concerned about my sniffles after we were done. Watched NCIS til I fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment